Friday, August 14, 2015

Still Kicking

Yes, I'm still here.
Today I finished six weeks of Special Ed. Summer School.  I have three short weeks to do all the things I should have been doing for my farm and to get ready for fall sheep festivals.
Next weekend Jim Baldwin is coming and we'll shear the 34 lambs born in the coldest of coldest winters in my life anywhere.  They are beautiful and I'm anxious to play with their gifts.  There is a surprise lamb who appeared one day along side her mother last month.  I call her Summer, of course.  She is delightful.  What a difference to have a lamb born in beautiful, warm weather.  The Parkinsons are coming to help shear.  Worming and vaccinations have to be done.  The rams and goat bucks have to go into their pen behind the barn.  It's smaller but they have a silo room to bed down in and a lovely view of the piney ridge.   I don't want any February/March births this winter!   I have to get this done before school starts again and the weather turns.  There is so much to tell but it will have to come in short bursts.  I own a cow and her name is Coco. Long story I will tell sometime soon.  She came with two baby bulls who are the cutest things you've ever seen.  So now I am a dairy woman, milking by hand twice a day - 6 am and 6 pm.  I love the milk and make yogurt and mozzarella with it.   Hard cheese is next.  I'm tied to the farm more than ever, if that is possible.


4 comments:

The socklady said...

So glad to see your blog back up and running. I had been checking in every couple of days just in case.

skeindalous said...

So nice to have a new post from you. That is a lovely fleece! Hope the start of school goes well.

Dogmommy4 said...

Soooo happy to see you are still there! I was worried, but I see you had MORE than enough things to keep you busy rather than blogging!! I am waaaaay out in Southern CA, but I live a sheep farming life vicariously through you. oxox ginny

Bea said...

How ever can there be no comments!!! I had just about given you up for dead. Thanks so much for taking the time to post.
Excited to hear about the cow. I've always wanted a Jersey myself, but it's just never happened. Without additional animals or a family to share, five gallons a day seems like a ton of milk to contend with, even when my kids were young and their friends were running about.

I have a young friend who's a social worker and just starting out with a farm. She's so excited, she could burst. Looking forward to next spring and chicks and ducks and goats and gardens AND she's getting married in June. I only really keep track of her through facebook now, but I so want to tell her to slow down.She's a real animal lover though and this is her dream.

I find myself kind of jealous. A new/old 75 acre farm in 'upstate'. South of you, but north west of me I think. (I'm just south of Albany). So, they're making all sorts of additions/renovations. Put in a wood stove. Got all their wood cut and stacked. Ahhh to be young.

I do have my own life and I'm happily living it, but I appreciate hearing from you and my friend about your farm adventures. So, please keep em coming! (even if they have to wait a little bit)

Happily awaiting the cow adventures.

Bea